Dm Dietetic Management Canned Feline Formula
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DM Dietetic Management Feline Formulas are high protein and low carbohydrate to help support the unique nutritional needs of diabetic cats. They are also formulated to support your cats urinary health. The science behind our therapeutic diets represents a collaboration between Purina pet nutrition experts, researchers and veterinarians.
Will My Cat Be Cured Of Diabetes
Possibly. Your cat isnt doomed if it develops diabetes. Just like its probably a result of a bad diet, some major dietary adjustments should be able to reverse diabetes in a matter of months.
Plenty of people have reported successful experiences with diabetes remission. You just need to prepare for handling some changes in your cats lifestyle.
Carbohydrates Obesity And Diabetes
Most people are aware that diabetes is more common in overweight humans than it is in people closer to an optimal weight. The same is true for cats. Fat cells produce a substance that causes the cells of the body to become resistant to insulin. This increase in insulin resistance is the hallmark of Type 2 diabetes. As mentioned above, this is the most common form in the cat.
Cats are designed to utilize proteins and fats for their energy not carbohydrates. They are lacking the necessary enzymes to efficiently utilize carbohydrates to meet their energy needs. When the carbohydrate level of an obligate carnivores diet is higher than it should be remember that a bird or a mouse is only 2-3 percent carbs and that most dry foods contain between 35-50 percent carbs the excess carbohydrates are stored as fat. The increased fat cells, in turn, promote Type 2 diabetes via an increase in insulin resistance.
That said, if calories in exceed calories out no matter whether the calories come from protein, fat, or carbohydrates the cat will gain weight. This is why portion control is important no matter what diet you are feeding.
More in-depth information can be found here:
Unfortunately, pet food labels are extremely lacking in useable information. All that is required to be listed is the guaranteed analysis which are only minimums and maximums which are, by definition, inaccurate. Also, it is not required to list the carbohydrate content.
Also see Cat Food Composition chart.
Also Check: Why Did Insulin Prices Go Up
@click=open = Open & & Hideaccordionondesktop > features
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DM Dietetic Management Feline Formulas are high protein and low carbohydrate to help support the unique nutritional needs of diabetic cats. They are also formulated to support your cats urinary health. The science behind our therapeutic diets represents a collaboration between Purina nutritionists, researchers and veterinarians.
- High protein and low carbohydrate to help support healthy glucose levels in cats
- St/Ox Defense: This diet promotes a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- High protein content to help maintain lean body mass and ideal body condition
- Contains antioxidants
- Available in dry and canned to meet your cat’s preference
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Feline Dm Diabetes Management
Dietetic, specialised wet food with beef for adult cats with diabetes, formulated with a reduced carbohydrate content to help to reduce fluctuations in blood sugar levels.…further information
- Product description
Dietetic, specialised wet food with beef for adult cats with diabetes, formulated with a reduced carbohydrate content to help to reduce fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Feline DM ST/OX Diabetes Management Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Feline DM Diabetes Management – Beef at a glance:
- Balanced, complete wet food for cats with diabetes
- Can be fed long-term to cats with diabetes and can help with weight loss
- Low carbohydrate content: by including fewer ingredients, this diet can help to reduce fluctuations in blood sugar levels
- Increased levels of vitamin E: can help reduce oxidative stress
- Clinically proven to help reduce the amount of insulin needed for diabetic cats
- Delicious recipe: with tender chunks of beef in gravy, which is well accepted
- Practical packaging: 10 x 85g pouches
- Not suitable for pregnant or lactating cats
- Not suitable for kittens or junior cats, or cats with chronic illnesses that require a higher energy intake
Recommended Reading: Can You Donate Blood If You Have Type 2 Diabetes
Purina Dm Cat Food Alternatives To Manage Your Cats Diabetes
Finding out your cat has diabetes can be heartbreaking. Its manageable, though. No need to worry!
Dealing with cats diabetes relies heavily on adjusting their diets. You need to replace their current diet -since its probably what caused their diabetes in the first place- with a healthier one either prescribed by the vet or any low-carb cat food.
Purina DM is a vets favorite because of its impressive ingredient list, low carbs, and affordable price. But what if its not suitable for you, or your cat, for any reason?
You need to have options. Thats why well be taking a look at the best Purina DM cat food alternatives for your diabetic cat.
In a hurry? Heres a quick summary:
Purina Veterinary Diets Dietetic Management
- High-quality product that contains high levels of protein and low levels of carbs
- Includes a huge amount of antioxidants to promote a hostile environment for the development of struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- Great option for diabetic felines, adult and senior cats
- May trigger allergy in some cats
You May Like: Is Type 2 Diabetes Curable
Merrick Purrfect Bistro Low Carb Dry Cat Food For Diabetic Cats
- Contains meat as a primary ingredient
- Made in the form of small kibble sizes
- Suitable grain-free food formula for kittens, adult, senior, obese and diabetic cats
- Loaded with antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, vitamins, minerals and taurine
- Affordable price
- This is dry food and every owner who has a diabetic cat should supplement it with wet food for moisture
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Dm Diabetes Management Cat Food
Delivery See details
Please view our Delivery and Coronavirus pages for the latest updates.
Light orders under £29 are charged £2.99 postage. Heavy orders under £29 are charged £4.49 postage.
For Light items our standard method is Royal Mail 2nd Class Tracked . To get it faster you can upgrade Light items to Royal Mail 1st Class Tracked or a Guaranteed Courier service, Saturday Courier or even before 12 noon services where available. There’s a small fee, but if you’re in a hurry they are worth considering. To ensure you receive your items as quickly as possible, please place your order before 12 Noon Monday to Thursday as there is no standard Saturday courier delivery. Heavy items weighing 2kg and more are sent via courier. Heavy items ordered after 12 Noon Friday, or anytime Saturday and Sunday will be processed as soon as possible during working days. Please note that if you are purchasing a mix of Light and Heavy items at the same time, these will be sent separately. The Heavy items being sent by Courier, the Light items by Royal Mail 2nd Class Tracked. All exceptions to these guidelines are noted in the product description.
For more information, view our Delivery page.
Recommended Reading: Healthy Diet For Diabetes And High Cholesterol
Top 3 Alternatives For Purina Dm
The market is loaded with options, but we tried to be real picky with that one. We collated a mini list of three alternatives for Purina DM that provide equivalent results.
Just like Purina dm, Hills m/d is a clinically-tested prescription cat food that manages your cats glucose levels and keeps them under control at all times.
When vets are asked about the best food to regulate glucose for diabetic felines, the answer usually has to include Purina DM or Hills m/d, so we had to include this one as one of the best alternatives Purina dm.
The ingredients list is impressive, and it relies mainly on chicken byproducts. Wet food isnt a cats favorite meal, but most reviewers who tried feeding their cats Hills m/d agreed that their little felines loved it, and theyve seen an improvement in their cats energy levels and overall wellbeing within two weeks.
The main downfall of Hills m/d is its price point. Its a bit overpriced, and youll find cheaper alternatives on the market. However, we believe that cheaper cat foods arent on par with this, at least when it comes to striking a balance between glucose control and an appealing taste.
What We Like
Loaded with healthy protein, this wet cat food from Blue Buffalo would be an efficient replacement for Purina, particularly because of its high protein and low carb content.
What We Like
What We Like
Switching The Diabetic Cat To A Low Carbohydrate Diet
Caution: This must be done very carefully if the patient is already on insulin. See above if you have not already read the Critical Points section.
If your cat is not on insulin because he was just diagnosed with diabetes, then you can change the diet more rapidly either immediately or within 2-3 days. More on this issue below.
Unless the patients clinical signs warrant immediate insulin administration, I try a diet change with no insulin for 3-5 days to see what impact the new diet will have on the blood glucose. In most cases, I do not agree with waiting much longer than a week to start insulin. This is because you will have the best chance of getting your cat into remission if both diet and insulin are used very early on. The longer your cats body is under the effects of glucose toxicity, the more his body will be damaged and the less chance of remission he will have.
When I have a new diabetic patient present to me, the two most important tasks are:
1) getting the patient onto a low carbohydrate diet preferably canned and not dry
2) teaching the client how to home test
If your cat is already on insulin, the safest way to implement a diet change is to incorporate home testing into your management protocol.
The goal is to get your cat off of dry food and on to a 100 percent canned food diet but if your cat is on insulin, this must be done carefully especially if the cat refuses to eat canned food.
Also Check: What Are The Two Different Types Of Diabetes
What Is Dm Diabetic Management For Cats By Purina Proplan
- Purina ProPlan DM is a canned diet specifically designed for cats with diabetes mellitus.
Why is Purina ProPlan DM used for Cats?
- DM is formulated with low levels of carbohydrates and high protein levels to meet the unique nutritional needs of diabetic cats.
- Purina ProPlan DM promotes gluconeogenesis, a process in the body that converts protein to glucose for a more steady release of glucose and may lead to a reduced insulin requirement.
- DM also helps make your cat’s urine more acidic, and less likely to develop struvite and calcium oxalate crystals.
- This diet provides antioxidant-rich nutrition and also contains additional antioxidants and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
What else should I know about Purina ProPlan DM?
- DM Diabetic Management is only available with a veterinarian’s prescription.
What problems could by cat have with Purina ProPlan DM?
- Read the prescription label carefully for your veterinarian’s recommended feeding guidelines.
How do I use Purina ProPlan DM Diabetic Management for Cats?
- For additional information about this diet, consult your veterinarian.
What is in Purina ProPlan DM for Cats?
Purina ProPlan DM Dry Food
Purina ProPlan DM Canned Food
Purina ProPlan Savory Selects Canned Food
Will I get with I see in the Picture?
- Purina ProPlan DM is a name brand. You will receive the exact product you request.
The Basics Of Diabetes
All cells in the body use glucose as their source of energy. However, in order for glucose to provide nourishment to the cell, the glucose must get inside the cell. Insulin, which is produced by the pancreas, is the substance that tells the front door of the cell to open in order to let the glucose inside. If this system is disrupted for any reason, the glucose cannot enter the cell and subsequently, the level of glucose increases in the blood stream and the cells go hungry.
There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 is the more common form in both humans and cats.
Type 1 occurs when the beta cells of the pancreas are not able to produce enough insulin.
Glucose toxicity results from chronic hyperglycemia. Glucose toxicity wreaks havoc on the entire body especially the pancreas and its insulin-producing cells. A vicious cycle then ensues as the insulin-producing cells are damaged resulting in less insulin being produced.
Here is a picture of the pancreas. It is the long, flat, pink organ in the center. The dark red organ below it is the spleen. The white tissue is all fat. This is also called omental fat and some of you may have heard or read about this type of fat in humans. It is the fat that is carried around the abdomen and is associated with significant health problems.
Also Check: What Effects Does Diabetes Have On The Body
How To Choose The Best Alternative For Purina Dm Cat Food
Youre probably using Purina DM because your cat is diabetic, or she needs to lose some weight. In both cases, the goal is to get your cat on a diet to regulate glucose levels in its blood, thus improving its overall health.
Purina DM is one of the most popular prescription foods for cats. Usually, vets prescribe Purina for diabetic cats to regulate their glucose levels. Sometimes Purina DM is intended for the diet adjustment part, while insulin is prescribed for treatment, and in some other cases, the dietary change is more than enough to treat your diabetic cats condition.
We know that our beloved felines are picky and moody. One time they could gobble up on Purina the next, they might avoid it at all. Thats why you should be ready with a good alternative for Purina DM, in case your cat quits it cold turkey.
You might also find yourself in a situation where Purina is not available or overpriced. Apart from that, some cats didnt like Purina in the first place.
What Types Of Food Should I Feed My Diabetic Cat
As weve been saying throughout the article, were looking for foods, dry or wet, with high protein and low carbs. Higher fiber content is a plus to slow down the absorption of fats.
L-Carnitine and taurine are also beneficial to liver, nerve, and heart functions. Besides, they help with delivering fats to cells, improving the metabolism.
You May Like: What’s The Best Diet For Type 2 Diabetes
Purina Pvd Dm Diabetes Management Feline Key Benefits:
- Purina Feline DM: this Purina PVD DM cat food helps reduce insulin requirements in diabetic cats. This happens because this formula stimulates your cats pancreas to produce more insulin all on its own.
- Low-carb diet: Purina diabetic cat food is low in carbohydrates, thus helping to reduce variations in blood glucose levels. Since obesity is the leading risk factor for diabetes mellitus, this low content of carbohydrates, as well as the increased levels of protein and amino acids, is also important to promote weight loss.
- Fight the oxidative stress: the increased levels of vitamin E present in Purina DM cat food promote a reduction in oxidative stress.
- Palatability to the max: the taste of chicken in gravy and texture of Purina Diabetic Cat Food Wet Sachets will please even the pickiest cats.
Important: Always talk to your veterinarian before administering Purina PVD DM Diabetes Management Feline to your cat and follow their advice. This feed is not suitable for pregnant or lactating cats or for kittens, junior cats, or cats with chronic illnesses that require a higher energy intake.
Meat and animal derivatives , fish and fish derivatives, vegetable derivatives, minerals. Carbohydrate source: maize starch.
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamin A , Vitamin D3 ,Vitamin E , Vitamin E1 , , Vitamin E4 , Vitamin E5 , .
Collecting Urine For Ketone And Glucose Measurements
Diabetic ketoacidosis is a very serious and life threatening condition which can result from unregulated diabetes.
DKA can result from:
- not enough insulin
- high level of insulin resistance secondary to infection, inflammation, obesity, etc.
When sugar cannot get inside of the cells for any of the reasons above, the body ends up starving at the cellular level so it starts to burn fat for fuel. When this happens, ketones are released into the blood stream and then end up in the urine.
Therefore, it is important to be able to test diabetic cats for urine ketones daily, if possible whenever there is a threat of DKA.
With regard to using urine sugar levels to manage a diabetic cat, I must stress that this is very far from optimal. Urine glucose testing is a very crude way to manage a diabetic cat but if home testing as described above is not possible, then urine glucose testing is better than no monitoring at all.
See this video for more information:
You May Like: Can I Buy A Diabetes Test Kit
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Dm
- Formulated with high protein levels and low carbohydrates to support the special dietary needs of diabetic felines
- Contains a high level of antioxidants in order to promote an environment unfavorable to the development of struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
- Perfect palatability and great taste
- Suited for cats with diabetes and senior cats who have dental problems
- There are some cats who passed bad gas after eating this food
- Such dry cat food should be supplemented with wet food for moisture